Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Story of Mr Bottle

Do you know about Mr Bottle's story? This story actually reflects a lot on the philosophy of our company and Mr Bottle. Here's the story:
Once upon a time, there was a very shy child. So shy that he did not dare to talk to anyone in school.

One day, his father bought a bottle of magic for him. "In it, is a potion that will make you grow brave and strong."

Every morning, he would open the bottle for some magic. Day by day, he begin to make more friends.

One day, he saw his good friend cornered by Billy, the big bully. Believing he chased Billy away.

Many years later, he discovered that the bottle was actually an empty bottle. Believing in the magic has changed his life.

This child is none other than Mr Bottle the Magician, who believes that nothing is impossible.

Throughout the years of performing, I have learnt a lot from kids. I love chatting with kids with boundless imagination. For instance, some think that they can be as powerful as certain superheros!

However, there are of course times, children come up to tell me that "there's no such thing as magic." Now, think, if we believe that there's magic, then we can think beyond what we already know, do things that we ordinarily may not be able to achieve. If we think that "Nothing is Impossible", we can accomplish much more! I don't think Leonardo da Vinci would have invented his flying machine if he thought that humans couldn't possibly fly.

A lot of times, we are limited by what we know. If you think that we cannot fly, then obviously you cannot fly isn't it? David Copperfield didn't think so! He flew! (I am not asking anyone to jump off a cliff and imagining that he can fly!)


When I create my magic, I don't think about what I know first. I think about the effects first, what it will look like, then think of ways to create it. Along the way, I am happy to say I have created new methodologies that have surprised many magicians.

Maybe give your children a chance to try, even if it's impossible. If they fail, what's the worse that can happen? They can learn from their mistakes.

Perhaps it's not so bad to tell your kids that Santa Claus is real and reindeer can fly.

Next: Nothing is Impossible!

No comments: